The Cobram Bowling Club has been a part of our Community for 106 years.
The first green was opened on 3 December 1914 – after in January 1914 it is reported that “all gentlemen interested in the formation of a bowling club in Cobram” were invited to attend a meeting. The first match played on the green was against Yarrawonga in January 1915.
The Centenary was celebrated at the Club on 7 December 2014, at which occasion the attached plaque was presented, and a book detailing the history of the Club (Cobram Bowling Club 100 Years 1914 – 2014) was launched by Cr Marie Martin, Mayor of Moira Shire. The latter produced with aid of a grant from Moira Shire.
The history of the Club was summarised as follows in an article in the Cobram Courier on December 17 2014.
“Early in the 1940s increasing Club membership and primitive clubhouse facilities led to a move to a block of land in William St, the site of the Club today.
A joint clubhouse arrangement was made with the adjoining tennis club. This lasted until 1970 when the bowling club extended its section eastwards and gave the tennis club sole use of the social room.
Further renovations in 1991 saw the Clubhouse extended ti its current size.
Up to the end of the 1960s the Club had enjoyed the use of two Tift [sic] Dwarf greens.
However, further increase in members meant the need for space for another green and a lease was taken out on the ‘Police Paddock’ to the north of the existing greens.
Eventually this area was purchased and a recent change from Bent Grass to Tift[sic] Dwarf sees the Club now with three grass greens.
The Club now enjoys the facilities of a modern Clubhouse, three greens and successes in pennant competitions ad tournaments within the Murray Bowls Division.”